25.8.14

Face it, or Facebook it.

I liken Facebook, to a dinner party.

To your left, you have someone who is an avalanche of words.  You know their aunties and uncles by name, how many pet fish they have and what they plan to do for dinner next Wednesday.  And you have only known them ten minutes. To your right, is someone who doesn't say boo.  But they play a lot of candy crush.  Sitting across from you, speaks in motivational posters, and tells you daily it's 11:11 on the clock.  Down the end of the table, is a debate over what clean eating is, across from that talks of politics and out of earshot someone stands up and says:

I LOVE ROAST POTATOES.

It's a noisy old place.

Photos of sunsets, chia this & that, feet, selfies, kids winning awards, sold stickers, promotions, holidays and general dance of: this is all the feels, facebook.

To be honest, I love it.  Some days, I think we're all part of a huge social experiment.  But I love people watching and putting my amateur psychologist hat on. It is my outlet.  Living in a new town, my social network is limited.  I love popping onto facebook, and having a chat over my cuppa.

I love to know what you are doing.  I do!  Not in a tap tap, it's me at your window stalking kind of way. But your holiday snaps.  What you saw today.  That funny thing your kid just did.  My Mum lives a good 10 hours away, and I love seeing her little snaps of the garden or the dogs causing chaos.

It's a conversation.  It's more than just liking something.  I often worry, I share too much.  That I need to find my own mute button.  I am working on that.  It's not like I see something and go: right, must share this to show everyone WHAT A FABULOUS LIFE I HAVE.  I have never been like that.  I love taking photos.  I like seeing humour in things.  I face 99% of my life, but that 1% when I have sat on the loo floor for 20 minutes with projectile morning sickness and I have an inflamed pubic bone that is as fun as it sounds.. I share.  Because if I am honest, I have my network of people I can turn to.. but in some moments.. you just need a word vomit.

It is a dinner party.  You do need manners. Just look at Sonia Kruger announcing her pregnancy to see the vial words people feel happy to put out there.  The written word is much different to the spoken.  Share your story, respect others.  Share something fun, a photo.. or just say g'day.

Facebook, it is noisy.  It can be fun.  I like my little space.


No comments:

Post a Comment